Monday, April 10, 2006

Assignment in Ruby

Would you believe Ruby has a dozen different ways to represent assignment internally? This may be something you don't expect to find when you go poking around the internals of things like the Ruby implementation or ParseTree. I know I didn't.

Over the coming weeks, I will:

  • document the 12 different representations
  • discuss what they are and what is unique about them
  • show you what ruby code creates each one and the AST (abstract syntax tree) generated by ParseTree for each
  • show you a code example of how you would write your own parse_foo method in a SexpParser if you wanted to track something about each one
  • show you what we have done (if anything) with each one in CheckR and explain why


Join me in an journey under the covers as I explore assignment in Ruby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home